Shoes made of leather-like cowboy boots always look classic as well as they provide comfort and protection for your feet in rough conditions. But, since they are made from thick and tough leather, they can cause hurt in the feet when new. In today’s article, we will consider some of the best ways of how to stretch cowboy boots, and after that, you can find out which method you can follow to make sure your boots will get more comfortable.
How to Stretch Cowboy Boots At Home?
These multiple ways suggested blow will help in stretching your cowboy boots that have been bothering you easily. You don’t have to worry because all ways we introduced have no cost. So, just follow the instructions carefully and get a fruitful result.
Wearing Sock Inside the Boots
Though being quite old, but this method works effectively. This is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to stretch out your cowboy boots. The only downside is that it takes a while; however, this doesn’t matter.
We all have a lot of socks at home. But, as a word of caution, this method is painful because you must wear socks while pressing the leather to stretch it.
- Usually, wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks, then slip the boots on.
- Wear the boot for some time to expand the leather outward and create room for the feet.
- It is usually recommended that you wear only two pairs of socks.
- This method takes longer than other methods but has a lasting effect as well.
Steam Inside of the Boots
Patience and effort for this method are required. More than that it cost you pay for a garment steamer or kettle.
- Direct the steam from the streamer or kettle of boiling water towards the inside of the boots.
- Keep the steam coming for about 15 seconds, then remove it.
- If the affected area is not soft enough, then apply more steam for the same time duration.
- Then put on socks and boots and walk around in them until they are dry.
A note for you: this method may affect the outer dye of the boots and the integrity of the condition of the leather.
Stretching The Boot by Submerging it in Water
Water is well-known for helping a lot with stretching. So, this is a simple method you should apply.
- Take a bucket or tub full of water.
- Put the boots inside in such a way and don’t let that water go into the insides of your boots.
- Press them down in the water with your hands.
- Take the insole out when you feel it getting wet
- Put on some socks and wear the boots. Walk-in them for some time or till they are dry.
Use this method to stretch the boot correctly. In the end, apply the conditioning spray to keep the original look of the shoes alive.
Using Ice to Stretch Cowboy Shoes
This is another old method that is used by millions of people. Two things you need are a zip-lock bag and water, then follow these steps below:
- Place a zip-lock bag and inside the boot. It should also be ensured that the bag has reached the far end of the toe box too.
- Fill the bag with water, making sure that it reaches every corner of the bag.
- When the bag is full of water, close it and place the boots in the freezer. Make 100% sure that the water bag is not leaked, otherwise, water will run out
- Water after freeze will cause the boot to stretch when water turns into ice; they increase in size.
- Leave it there for 8 hours, and the size will increase, creating a stretches
In this way, your cowboy boots will increase in size.
Choose A Typical Boot Stretcher
Use a good old western-style boot stretcher as a tool to help you with stretching your boot. With a special design, this tool will help boot in stretching without causing any discomfort to your feet.
It tool comes with a kit that has a boot stretcher spray and stretching plugs.
- First, apply the shoe stretcher spray to the inside of your boots or apply the spray on a clean cloth and wipe the inside with it.
- Then insert the plugs and fit them properly until they meet the end of the toe box
- The top of the plug now has a handle. Rotate it clockwise until you get the required stretchiness. Stop right there.
- Leave the boots in this condition for at least 6 – 8 hours.
- Finally, turn the handle anti-clockwise and remove the plugs.
Your boots will be stretched as per your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1./ How Much Do My Boots Need To Be Stretched?
The exact amount will vary based on your foot shape and the type of boots you wear, but it’s probably less than you think.
Stretch the boots so much makes them become loose. Therefore, you should stretch them just enough to give your toes a bit of extra room and soften the leather to make it more flexible.
2./ Will I have to do this again at some point?
Once you’ve stretched your boots and they’re comfortable worn in, they’ll never need to be stretched again. Re-stretching boots at this time are not unnecessary.
3./ How Long Will It Take To Stretch My Boots?
Depends on the method you use. The more complicated the method is, the longer time it takes to stretch your boots. Using bags of ice or a boot stretching tool takes about eight hours. For soaking them in the tub, it will take longer and may require more than one soak.
If you’re using extra socks, it will probably take several days or even a couple of weeks to finish the process, although they should start feeling more comfortable within a day or two.
4./ What Happens If I Used Too Much Steam?
If the steaming has caused damage to your boots, you may need to pay a professional to repair them.
5./ What Happens If I Got Water Inside My Boots?
If you accidentally got water inside your boots when soaking them, then dump the water out and dry the interior with towels thoroughly.
Hopefully, between the towel drying and the socks you wear while walking in the boots, you’ll avoid damage, but if damage occurs, you may have a professional who can fix it.
6./ Is It Possible To Stretch The Boots Too Much?
It is, but it would be quite difficult. Because the materials are tough and thick, so if you were to stretch the boots too much you would probably have caused so much damage that the boots would be unwearable.
Shoestorenyc.com provided you most effective ways with a step-by-step guidelines to stretch your boot. Try these ways to get a better stretch on your favorite western-style boot without losing any dashing features.
Thanks so much for reading and give us your feedback in the comment box below!